1. It is the responsibility of the athlete to prepare both themselves and their crew for the ULTRA520K event. The suggestions contained in the ULTRA520K guide are to help you with this preparation.
2. Each athlete has their own particular wants and needs and therefore must have those incorporated into any event plan that is prepared. Be sure to prepare your own lists of food, tools and bike parts, first aid supplies, fluids and vehicle needs.
3. It is suggested that the athlete delegate most tasks to their Team Captain and Crew Member(s) and assume they will do a good job of it. Time spent in advance explaining and assigning tasks and defining needs of both the athlete and crew members is a good investment which will pay dividends during the event.
4. Be sure to define the distances between aid station stops. This can be critical in case of mechanical failure of equipment and frequency of fluid and nutrient replacement for the athlete.
5. Communications are critical on the ULTRA520K course. Each team must be equipped with a cellular telephone and be prepared to provide the number at registration.
6. It is suggested that on bike legs that you stay in contact at least every ten (10) to sixteen (16) kilometer (six (6) – ten (10) miles). On the run course it is suggested at least every sixteen hundred meters (1600 m) or one(1) mile. You may want to make more frequent stops than those suggested but be sure to make contact between athlete and crew often and regularly. Click here for more detailed Rules and Regulations information.